|Yo, man, let's get out of here! Word to your mother!|
At 12:30 am Saturday, snow is not the issue but instead it is the ice building up on the trees, many of which have deadwood that can't take the weight, limbs are falling and power lines are snapping. Dunwoody PD is probably slammed with calls as I know several streets are blocked and the Georgia Power outage map shows widespread isolated issues through out the general Atlanta area. Stay warm / stay safe. John
Below is a note sent by the Mayor earlier this evening.
Good evening my fellow citizens … winter storm weather update and one other item …
1. I have just returned from the command center at city hall and these are some of the latest developments ...
- Over the last 2 hours the temperature has drop 5 degrees (from 34 to 29 degrees) and the rain has changed into sleet/freezing rain. The build on the street of this mixture is over 1/4” and increasing .. and the streets are just starting to get a little slick. I noticed a little sliding in the turns. We have been putting brine on the streets but because of all the rain the brine will have reduced affect. As the temperatures drop the sleet should turn to snow at about midnight and continue until about 4 to 6 AM with the temperature dropping well below freezing .. 22 degrees. The sun is forecast to come out about noon on Saturday but the temperature will stay below freezing. If there is any solar thawing tomorrow it will freeze again tomorrow night as the temperature will drop to 16 -18 degrees with a chill factor of approx. 4 degrees. If the current forecast are accurate we are in for hazard driving conditions for at least a couple of days.
- What I am telling you is that the “winter storm warning" is no longer a warning …. the winter storm is here.
- First and foremost, unless you have a medical emergency or you are a first responder … STAY HOME! Spend the time at home doing some “family bonding" etc. If you are one that absolutely has to go out be sure to drive very slow and take the turns and corners extra slow. Leave plenty of room between you and the car in front of you. Rear end accidents are the number one type of accidents in these conditions. Coming home from city hall a few minutes ago there was a car following me about 20’ behind my bumper … I just thought it can’t be anyone from Dunwoody because none of us are that dumb. If your car is equipped with anti-skid brakes read the proper operating procedure in your car manual before you go anywhere … that knowlewdge may save your day.
- As noted above the temperature is going to drop significantly Saturday night. If you have every had problems with pipes freezing in your house I recommend you open cabinet and other doors where water pipes are located. This will reduce your exposure to frozen water pipes.
- We have a full continent of Dunwoody Police Officers on duty tonight to assist where needed.
- As we can, we will be updating our website and social media concerning conditions. Make sure you check these sources for information prior to coming to our Council meeting on Monday night.
- Lets all be safe out there as this should all pass is two days or so. We are all family in Dunwoody so if you neighbor needs some help please offer your assistance.
2. State of the City Event … Please mark your calendar for the annual “State of the City” event to take place on March 9, 2017 at the Crown Plaza Ravinia. The general reception starts at 6 PM and the ceremony starts at 7 PM. Everyone is invited.
3. That is all for tonight. Please pass this on to your friends, neighbors and members of your HOA, etc. If anyone wants to be added to my email list just let me know. Thanks for everything each of you do to make us a great city “family" and create an atmosphere of mutual respect and quality of life that we all desire!
Let Us Continue to Build Our City Together!
Mayor of DunwoodyC 678-246-9006