Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Dunwoody Business License renewal application is due no later than March 15th

At last nights City Council meeting the Dunwoody Chamber of Commerce wanted to remind the community that business licenses were due soon and encouraged all businesses to apply.

The Dunwoody Chamber of Commerce is offering drop-in assistance on the following days from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm at their office located at 5518 Chamblee Dunwoody Road, Dunwoody, GA 30338:

Thursday's, March 12, 19, 26; 2:30 pm - 5:00 pm
Friday's, March 13, 20, 27; 10:00 am - 1:00 pm

Beside the Chamber offering assistance, City Hall's Finance Department is also available to assist you in completing your application during normal business hours and I would recommend you call them at (678) 382-6700 to answer any and all questions that you may have. The text below is taken from the License General Information link shown here and is not all inclusive but it is a good taste of what has to be done.

At the meeting last night there was also a complaint that Chapter 15 on Businesses Taxes could not be found on the Dunwoody website and I have found in my personal records what I believe are the final draft copies of Chapter 15 and related amendments prior to any last second amendments from the floor that may have been added. Please note the date listed in the beginning of the title of each document.

I'm sure the city will post the "official" final version to Chapter 15 to the Dunwoody site very soon, as my documents here are not official and may have errors and omissions.

12182008_Amendment to Chapter 15.pdf

From the City of Dunwoody Website

Business License General Information
New Business License Application
Frequently Asked Questions for Business Licenses
Existing License Holder Application
Business Home Occupation Supplemental License Form

Who Needs A Business License
A separate license/certificate is required for each branch or separate location of business. Any person, including but not limited to an individual, partnership, corporation or limited liability company, who wishes to conduct either directly or indirectly, any business within City of Dunwoody must secure a business license. City law states that no person shall engage in business or transact and carry on a business activity, show, or exhibition, without complying with any and all applicable provisions of Chapter 15 of the City Code.

All businesses require our Zoning Department’s approval, while regulated businesses require some additional approvals prior to obtaining the business license.

Home-Based Business
Home-based business are allowed if it merely serves as the base of operations and the activity does not create any traffic or noise, does not involve customers at the home, and there are no identifying signs. The use of residential property for business purposes requires the completion of our Home Occupation Permit form (HOP). For information or questions regarding Home-Based Business and Zoning please contact the Planning/Development Department at (678) 382-6700.

Owners of Residential or Commercial Property
Owners of residential and/or commercial rental properties must have a business license.

Real Estate Sales Agents
Real estate sales agents are in business for themselves. Although they must be affiliated with a licensed broker, each agent is responsible for payment of his/her own business license.

Independent Contractors
Independent Contractors are in business for themselves and must obtain a business license prior to commencing work. Generally, if payroll taxes are not deducted from your pay, you are an Independent Contractor.

Business Basics for the New Business Owner
Planning/Zoning & Sign Approvals
The Zoning Department reviews all new applications and changes of addresses to ensure compliance with zoning regulations for that business location. They must approve the business activity to be conducted at that location prior to issuance of a Business and Occupational Tax Certificate.

Signs are strictly regulated. For information about Zoning and Signs, contact the Community Development Department at (678) 382-6700.

Ownership Types
Business ownership is classified into one of the following types of ownership entities (legal business structures): Sole Proprietor, Partnership, Limited Partnership, Limited Liability Company/ Corporation.

To determine which type of organization best suits your needs contact your legal or tax professional.

How to Obtain a Business License

Obtaining the Application
The initial steps to register a business begin in the Dunwoody City Hall Offices currently located at 400 Northridge Road Suite 1250, Dunwoody, GA 30350. The licensing process begins with the submission of the Dunwoody City Business Registration Application. Applications may be obtained via the City web page at www.dunwoodyga.gov, or in person at our office.

Completing the Application

Read the Business Registration Application thoroughly and complete all sections that apply.
Every application must contain at least the following:
  • Business Name
  • Federal Tax ID/Social Security Number
  • Type or Line of Business to be conducted
  • Business Location*
  • Contact Phone Number(s)
  • Number of Employees
  • Copy of Certificate of Incorporation and Listing of Owners or Corporate Officers
  • Appropriate Tax Payment
  • A Valid Signature
  • Government Issued Photographic Identification (drivers’ license)
  • Notary Certification Signature and Stamp
*Post Office Boxes and mail handling facilities can be used for the mailing address, but cannot be used for a business location. The applicant’s residence address must be used if there is no other place of business.


john said...

License renewals can be a pain as you would have to search for places that offers the things that are required of you. The good news to those who are not able to get to trainings for this renewal requirement because of the location or the schedule of the training is that they can always catch training programs for their real estate license online as there are now tons of approved and credited providers for these courses.

Creative Real Estate said...

Good thing there are lots of courses online which offer the same types of training. As for real estate investors, good thing there's no creative real estate investor license of any sort.