Friday, March 14, 2008

Rep. Fran Millar - caveats about vote count

Rep. Fran Millar (R - 79)

Letter by Rep Millar published 3/14/08.

This week I was spotlighted in the AJC ("Lawmakers missing in action," Page 1, March 11) for missing one-third of House floor votes over a period of time. I believe the number of missed votes is accurate, but you need to get beyond the headline.

I serve on the Rules Committee, and every bill that comes to the floor of the House has been explained to members of this committee. I know in advance which bills are significant (in my opinion) or which need my presence to help pass or defeat. To my knowledge, I voted on all matters that fell into either category.

I am elected to represent my constituents, and I have spent a vast amount of time off the House floor with other legislators, legislative counsel and lobbyists working on my education bill for career pathways and on support for people in Dunwoody to have the right to vote on cityhood.

Also, my statement that 95 percent of what we had done so far in the House was not of great significance meant that my particular vote on a matter did not affect whether it passed or failed. Until Day 30 (March 11), we probably dealt with 10 matters of great significance. Furthermore, any significant matter is usually voted on several times, since each chamber usually amends the bill.

I am not making excuses for missing votes. If I had instructed the clerk of the house to put an "E" by my name (excused) when I was off the floor, I would not have appeared on the list.

I give up a lot more than $17,000 to be at the General Assembly, and that is my choice. I suggest your paper interview other legislators and lobbyists to see what they think of particular work ethics before you categorize us all together.

FRAN MILLAR

No comments: