Sunday, May 31, 2020

Social Justice - Required reading in the Heneghan household - "The Hate U Give" by Angie Thomas


I grew up in blue-collar Chicago, rode public transportation to and from high school every day, but was privileged enough that my father was a painter at a University founded on the morals of social justice and equality for all.  I attended that school, studied Public Administration, became President of the Student Body, was named the first student on the University Board of Trustees. Then many years later, I helped found the City of Dunwoody, was elected to the City Council, and am now the Mayor Pro Tem and the longest-serving member of the Council.

Let me attest that every policy and every decision from the creation of the City until today has passed across my desk, and I can tell you that fairness and love are attempted to be achieved in every decision we make.   We strive to make your city government serve all stakeholders in a transparent manner with resourceful, efficient, progressive, and professional leadership. We expect the same from our police department, and in doing so, we, the Council, strive to ensure that our department is a reflection of the community they serve, are one of the most qualified and best-trained departments in the state.

These are difficult times with huge numbers of people hurting emotionally, financially, physically, and spiritually and when injustice happens, we are all affected.  We, as human beings, internalize this injustice and can see ourselves wronged in the process with only the hope that the legal system will right the wrong.

As my three teenage sons have now grown up in a world very different than my own, it is my responsibility to teach social justice and equality for all.   To teach them that just under a small layer of skin, that we are all the same color; therefore, everyone deserves fairness, equity, and respect of your fellow man. Unfortunately, I must also teach my boys that the world isn't always color blind, nor is diversity always celebrated; therefore, many injustices occur because of ignorance, bias, or just plain fear.

As white boys from Dunwoody who are halfway sheltered, I have mandatory movie nights (Schindler's List was this week's movie), and I purchase books to supplement their formal education.  The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas was one of those books, and then after it was completed, we watched the movie.

I highly recommend both the book and the movie because it allows you to walk a mile in the shoes of an African American teenager who is unjustly shot and killed at a traffic stop and the community reaction that followed.

As a Father and City Councilman, I will continue to strive to treat everyone fairly, instituting social justice reforms where possible and continuing my prayers for peace, understanding, and love of my fellow man. 

7 comments:

Mark said...

As is always the case with your very public life, and no doubt the entirety of your life, this parenting is a commendable effort. Teaching social justice to your children and helping them understand while the world is not a fair place, you can act in ways that offset the unfairness, you should do so. You are a treasure of this community and I can only hope we have you for a long time to come, and that younger folks are inspired to follow your example.

Johnson said...

Thank you. This is a great book and movie recommendation. I also think White Fragility is an excellent start for those wanting to do the personal work of fighting systemic racism.

John Heneghan said...

Thank you Mark for your kind words. Johnson, thanks - it appears that White Fragility is the top book on Amazon and is now sold out.

Trent McEntyre said...

I appreciate this post and the perspective you are bringing to Dunwoody. I grew up in Dunwoody but just moved back to Dunwoody three years ago. Dunwoody has grown significantly and is more diverse than it was when I grew up here. I'm trying to learn and change so that I help build a more just and connected community. So, I appreciate the movie and book rec..

Another great movie/book is Just Mercy. I've got White Fragility in my cue as well.

CautiouslyOptimistic said...

Thank you John. Two other books to add to your list.

Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption which is being made into a movie. I was shocked by what I read in this book.

also, Chokehold: Policing Black Men. I had this one recommended to me but am waiting on it to arrive from Amazon.

Unknown said...

Serious question: What is your definition of "social justice"? Communication, meaningful communication, depends upon a common definition of terms. And I recommend the Rerum Novarum; Pope Leo XIII may have published his encyclical regarding equality almost 130 years ago, but it holds up well.

Unknown said...

If this (https://reason.com/2020/06/18/ordinary-woman-fired-because-of-washington-post-article-about-costume-she-wore-at-halloween-party-two-years-ago/) is what we can expect from "social justice," count me out of this Motte and Bailey fiasco.