Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Dunwoody City Council Election Results and my evening as a party animal. Lautenbacher, Price & Lambert are victorious.


Dunwoody City Council Election Night is a special evening for this political junkie as I typically try to visit the various result watch parties, congratulate all the candidates for putting their name forward and then mingle with their supporters. Tonight, was no different as someone by the end of the night was calling me a party animal even thought I only consumed half a beer and a sip of Champagne.  Looking at the photos, I look really happy and I swear I had nothing more going on except for my routine lack of sleep. 

About 8 pm, I started the evening at the Wild Wing Café where district two candidate Rob Price was holding his event. Having never met Rob previously I wanted to meet him and his lovely bride Jenny and wish them well. We had a great conversation, with his easy going demeanor, wit and charm, we laughed at something I can’t remember then his campaign manager said that she needed to take a photo.  Rob gathered up the small crowd where I was and asked if I wanted to be in the photo… there is only one answer to that question… I would be honored. 

I’m honored to be photographed with Rob Price because he is one of six people out of a group of 50,000 residents who decided to put their name forward for an opportunity to serve their community, to sacrifice their time and talent to improve their community and literally be looked upon to lead this city for the next four years.  As a sitting city councilman, I can tell you that I am honored and quite blessed to be able to serve this community, but it is not always an easy task when citizens see you as the local throat to choke because they may not agree with a position taken.  After thorough vetting of facts, reading various opinions and papers, a city councilman needs to make tough choices, unpopular votes need to be cast, and at times I need to remind myself that I do not go to work for love, I need to do what is in the best interest of the future of the City of Dunwoody.  Service before self is a phrase that comes to mind and all six of the candidates in this cycle need to be honored for stepping forward.

My second stop of the evening was to La Hermanos where Jim Riticher was holding his election result event with his wife Carolyn and a table full of supporters. A few preliminary election day numbers were in with Rob Price ahead by a small margin, but the early voting wasn’t in, so Jim had his hopes up.  By this point of the evening, it was the third inning of the Braves game with a three-run lead and the next table was filled with Redfield ladies with a number of familiar pretty faces I hadn't seen in a years but I didn’t have time to chat.  I said my goodbyes to Jim, I congratulated him on his campaign, thanked him for his service and reminded him that the night was young; I nodded to the ladies at the next table as I departed to the next bar.

Tom Lambert was holding his event at Porters Brew & Que and by this time Tom was the declared early winner with a decisive victory over Brian Sims.  I snapped a photo of Tom’s wife Danielle holding up the precinct results where Tom won every precinct, so even with the missing advanced voting – Tom was coming back to council to serve another four years.  After mingling with the crowd of Tom’s supporters, talking shop with a member of the planning commission, and watching the Braves pull away; I was off to find the next election event. 

As I was about to walk out the door Tom’s opponent Brian Sims, reached out to discuss results and we communicated back and forth a few times with me answering his questions. I have known Brian for probably ten years, our children have gone to school together and from church I know him to be a kind and honorable man. About a week ago we met in a passing, in a parking lot, I greeted Brian and out of respect he called me “sir”. I laughed at him and said with a big smile, Brian, my name is John, please just call me John. He agreed and laughed back at me. In our final communication of the evening, I asked if he was gathered with supporters watching the results, so that I could stop by, but he admitted he wasn’t; instead he was a home watching the Braves recuperating from a long weekend that hadn’t gone as planned.  I congratulated Brian for entering the race and for doing what few others have done, offering to lead. We may see Brian again in the future and hopefully he will be putting forward an application to serve on one of the many City committees to gain more experience.

Catherine Lautenbacher, candidate for district one opposing Terry Nall was holding her event at the Dunwoody Nature Center North Woods Pavilion and as I knew the race was tight, I was interested in the outcome. Prior to election season, I didn’t know Catherine; we had never met but I knew she had the support of former City Councilwoman Pam Tallmadge who was forced to vacate her city council seat when she moved; therefore, if Pam thought highly of Catherine, then I’m sure I too would be impressed.  At the beginning of candidate qualification, back in July, I posted on my blog that I would be willing to personally sit down with anyone interested in running for City Council and answer any questions that they may have. Catherine Lautenbacher was the only candidate from this cycle who took me up on my offer and we talked at Crema for over two hours; I answered her questions, gave her insights but more importantly I received one on one time with a person who cares deeply about this city and who wants to lead it moving forward. 

I was a fan of Catherine's from the day we met therefore I had to go check to see how she was doing. As I walked through the darkened forest towards the lit glass structure, I heard cheers and celebration as I saw Catherine standing by the door speaking to a crowd. I couldn’t barge in; this was her moment as I watched from the shadows with the florescent glow coming through the panes. A minute later, a common friend of ours yelled John Heneghan’s here and I was waived in as Catherine was thanking her many supporters, friends, and family.  Catherine then turned, thanked me publicly for our early conversation and it warmed my heart to think that I may have had a small part in making this celebration a reality. I mingled, met Catherine’s family, I hugged Pam and chatted of 5 am workouts in her new life outside Dunwoody and the many connections she still has here.

The night was winding down, the election was over, but the Braves were still on and winning big.  As I had tentative plans to attempt to meet a few DHS Football Team Dad’s to watch the end of the game, I missed seeing Terry Nall at his event. Having served with Terry for eight years on the city council, I want to send a special thank you to Terry for his service to our community, for his willingness to serve, willingness to run for Mayor and then the willingness to try for Council once again. Kudos good sir and thank you.


4 comments:

Mark said...

Hats off to you, John, for making the rounds and for making yourself available to candidates seeking to ask questions and discuss the role of councilperson with you. Hats off to all candidates and I wish the winners well in their seats.

On a personal note, I continue to be disappointed by the poor turnouts for our elections, especially given the early voting option first established after the dreadful 2000 presidential election when I met many of my then nearly new neighbors while standing in line over 8 hours to cast my ballot. Maybe folks are largely content. I have considered running for a seat but when I consider, I have no vision or preferred direction for the community and rather would only seek to maintain and build upon the features I like and think would be of benefit to the community. Perhaps the folks who aren't troubled to vote feel a stronger version of this and would only vote if they were angry or frustrated. I don't know but it seems sad to me.

Max said...

Great to see you again, John.

Go B R A V E S!!!!

Thank you John for your years of steady, positive leadership - this posting is another excellent example of your good politics. Politics is a word that is unfortunately associated anger, retribution, and inaction but is actually derived from the original Greek root:

Polī́tēs "citizen, freeman"

WE as citizens have the right, duty, and honor to CHOOSE as free people those who REPRESENT our vision and goals for Dunwoody. This election shows each of us how important our single vote is on matters closest to home. How many people do you know that don't get it? I know several and always make sure to call them PRIOR to an election to get their voice heard by VOTING.

Thank you, candidates, families, and incumbents for your time and talent to make the tough and easy decisions needed to keep our Community safe, fun, and forward looking.

John Heneghan said...

Mark & Max, thank you for your kind words, it is a labor of love for me.

As far as turnout rates, there wasn't really anything sexy on the ballot for Dunwoody except the local representative and the ESPLOST which is one reason I think the Charter Commission was thinking of switching the Dunwoody Mayoral Election to align with the district vote vs the at large election. Believe those recommendations have been transferred to our State Reps?

Looking at the turnout rates at the link below (top right of each election), Dunwoody had about a turnout rate of 20% and DeKalb as a whole had 13% on the ESPOST. Highly contested Atlanta (in DeKalb) had a 35% turnout, City of Tucker Mayoral had 27% but many other municipalities had turnouts lower than Dunwoody. These types of turnout concerns are also one reason why the City of Dunwoody makes early voting a priority by paying to have it offered within our city limits.

https://www.dekalbcountyga.gov/sites/default/files/users/user3597/Final-ElectionSummaryReportRPT-Unofficial%20and%20Incomplete.pdf

Mark, if you are interested in getting more involved, I highly recommend the City 101 class, the Dunwoody PD Citizen Academy and then volunteering for a City Board. We always have vacancies that need to be filled and want active concerned citizens to fill those slots. Thanks again, gentlemen. John

Mark said...

When I see you at events, John, it is clear you enjoy your civic role as an elected official. My wife and I have discussed some of those activities you suggest if only to be better informed. I suspect we shall wait out the pandemic until it goes away or more likely becomes endemic.