Sunday, October 29, 2023

Dunwoody Councilman John Heneghan answers "re-election" questions by Dunwoody Reporter / Rought Draft Atlanta (Vision, Qualifications, Accomplishments, Challenges and Bond Referendum)

Ms. Cathy Cobbs of the Dunwoody Reporter sent a request for Dunwoody Candidates (both contested and unopposed) to answer 5 questions the citizens might want to know about before casting a ballot.  I guess I was a little long winded as the publication asked me to edit it down.  I did a bit editing and submitted the submission below. 

Of course the publication edited more and cropped some of my answers in their October 23rd on-line publication and I highlighted it on my blog without actually publishing what was said so that it could be available to the publications readers both on the web & in print without me scooping the story.  As it looks like the information will not be in print, I am posting my original content below and again providing a link to the story with the other candidates profiles.  Please take the time to read about all the candidates.

 2023 Election Guide: Dunwoody Mayor and City Council

1.    What is your vision for Dunwoody for the next four years and beyond, and what role will you play in achieving it?

Every year, I repost the City of Dunwoody Vision, Mission, and Values on my public blog (Heneghan’s Dunwoody Blog) to remind myself (and anyone else who might read it) of the ideals in which the city was founded and in which I strive to serve. The original vision for the City of Dunwoody was modified in 2022 and shortened to state that we will “foster a thriving, vibrant, and inclusive community with exceptional neighborhoods and an innovative, responsible business environment”.   As much as I agree with that statement, I will continue to fulfill that vision by governing under the more detailed, original version under which we were founded.   “The City of Dunwoody will provide quality service to its citizens and support the largest economic engine in the Southeast by planning in a careful and thoughtful manner. The City of Dunwoody will be inventive, transparent, and embrace responsible progress, tempered by the city’s rich history and strong desire to maintain a close and vibrant community atmosphere that values family life and the entrepreneurial spirit. The City of Dunwoody will continue to support and nurture a community dedicated to the preservation of family, education, religious institutions, and the environment.”  

As a founding member of the Dunwoody City Council, serving for the last 15 years, I have strived and will continue to meet these ideals.

2.    What makes you qualified to represent the citizens of Dunwoody? If you are running opposed, what strengths do you have that your opponent does not?

As a founding member of the Dunwoody City Council, where I have served for the last fifteen years, I am proud to say that I have had a hand in setting all policies from startup to current-day operations. Prior to Cityhood, I served on the Citizens for Dunwoody Committee, where I was the Transportation Chair. Prior to that, I was President of my neighborhood civic association, representing over 1,000 homes on governmental matters.

With a degree in Public Administration, I have dedicated myself to public service, where I hope to fulfill two ideals. The first is that when I have the ability to make a difference, I have a responsibility to do so and second, transparency in government breeds self-corrective behavior. Fifteen years ago, I made transparency and open government a keystone of my governance policy; therefore, I have personally published every agenda, every public document and even live-streamed meetings to my blog documenting actions taken by the city.

My motivation to continue serving is that I believe I have the ability to continue making a difference in making Dunwoody a better community for all who live and work here.

3.    What are the accomplishments of which you are most proud (either personally or professionally)?

Looking back on a wide variety of work, civic, and personal accomplishments, my proudest and most far-reaching decision was that I stepped outside my comfort zone, went for something way outside my league, I kissed the girl.

4.    What do you think are the biggest challenges that Dunwoody faces in the next four years?

Our biggest challenge in the next four years is financial planning and fiscal control, as I foresee a possible downturn in office valuation in the coming years because of lower occupancy rates when leases are not renewed or sublet. When office buildings have high vacancy rates, it lowers building valuation, which decreases tax revenue for the city. Our homeowner tax rate is already capped and frozen, with valuation increases only coming from recent sales or rental properties. Our operational expenses, namely police salaries & benefits, parks services, and IT, are rising faster than the city general operation revenue, yet we cannot utilize capital funds for operating expenses.    This general fund shortfall issue is just starting for us as salaries will continue to rise, new facilities will need to be maintained, and for me, the big problem will be the fact that our governmental administrative service contracts will need to be renegotiated as they all expire in a few years. Yet, revenue streams tied to property taxes are frozen by our Charter, with Dunwoody having the lowest tax rate in DeKalb County. Today, this is a minor issue as we have reserves to cover the downturn. In 2025, I see us in a similar, slightly worse situation; then in 2026, the City of Dunwoody will have contract renewals, which I anticipate will have substantial inflationary increases - even after rebidding them.

The second major challenge for the City of Dunwoody is ensuring that Perimeter Center remains vibrant, strong and safe; this includes our big box retail stores in Perimeter Mall. To keep this area thriving, we, the city leaders, need to ensure that all residents, shoppers, and workers feel safe from crime by guaranteeing an adequate police presence at the Mall. Perimeter Center has grown and will add thousands of new residents in the next few years because of High Street and other development; therefore, we will need to beef up police coverage in these areas to handle the additional workload.   A lack of future investment in police coverage would be short-sighted, and a long-term detriment to the value of Perimeter Center; therefore, much like my financial concerns, there is no way around this issue and it must be addressed head-on.

5.    Are you opposed or in favor of the bond referendum (and why or why not?)

As a sitting City Councilman, it is my job to formulate the best funding strategy for future investment in the community, and if that is a bond referendum, so be it. My job is to provide the best product for you, the citizens, to vote up or down. I believe the residents should only be requested to pay additional taxes for necessary items that make sense, the list should be ranked and allowable bond funds would only be used to complete that limited list. Finally, when there are several very different topics up for a bond, the issues should be divided into two separate ballot questions so that residents can approve or deny each project type.    

In my case, we the Council, obtained and purchased two new properties for parks; therefore due to current City funding constraints, a bond to build out those parks does makes sense to me. Unfortunately, Council as a whole also brought in the Path Foundation who is not an expert in putting paths (10 – 12 feet of concrete) in front of, or alongside single-family homes, yet recommends it in our community. I disagree with the appropriateness of these 12-foot sidewalks on several different levels, therefore, I voted at a City Council meeting against the City Path Plan (lone no vote). When the discussions on the possibility of a bond were being floated to the community for both Parks and Paths was being discussed, I asked that the topics be separated so that residents could vote for one and possibly against the other. That idea was quickly dismissed, and the Council decided that if they combine both projects into one bond referendum question, that it would pass, and the community could have both amenities. I asked that a hard list of projects be offered with the bond which would limit the Council from working outside what they originally projected the funds would be used for, but Council decided that a soft list offered maximum flexibility. When the Council voted to put the current bond effort before the electorate, I was the loan No vote. 

With the final vote being 6 to 1, this transfers the ultimate power of approval to the residents, and that is what will be happening in the Nov 7th general election ballot box. As a city councilman, it is not my responsibility to tell anyone on how to vote on a referendum; instead, it is my job to present you bond referendum questions that are appropriate, fiscally sound, transparent, non-divisive and promote an environment of honesty, openness and integrity. Unfortunately, my desire for different bond questions were not realized; therefore it is that reality that we are dealing with today. 

As far as my recommendation on your vote, I am not going to offer advice as I’m sure you will make the best decision.

No comments: