Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Nancy Kaylor announces her candidacy for Dunwoody City Council, district 1.

Nancy Kaylor

Friends, neighbors and citizens of Dunwoody:

I am announcing my candidacy for the District 1 position for Dunwoody City Council.

I am a Georgia peach; I was born in Brookhaven, grew up in Sandy Springs, graduated from North Springs High School, and received a Batchelor of Science Degree in Economics from Georgia Tech.

After graduating from Tech I worked for the First National Bank of Cobb County and was instrumental in the opening and then being the manager of one of the first bank brokerage offices in the state of Georgia. I later went on to Trust Company Bank (now SunTrust) and helped open their brokerage office. At Trusco, I managed a billion dollar money market fund. The returns on the fund were consistently above comparable funds. I also bought and sold corporate and government bonds for various funds and accounts. My experience in start-ups and finance would be beneficial to the new city of Dunwoody.

I have been happily married for ten years to Keith Kaylor, an environmental engineer. We have a lovely 8 year old daughter who attends Vanderlyn elementary.

My community service includes volunteering at Vanderlyn and the Dunwoody nature center. I was also an officer for the Dunwoody MOMS club and volunteered at the Dekalb county battered women’s shelter.

If elected to City Council, I pledge to do the following:
  • Use my financial background to help the city council with setting budgets, tax anticipation notes, and financial oversight.
  • Minimize our taxes and ensure that our tax dollars are properly spent by conducting close oversight of all contractors providing city services, before and after the contracts are signed.
  • Ensure that Dunwoody residents are not burdened by excessive special fees and taxes without public input.
  • Balance the need for adequate police protection and other services with the desire for low taxes.
  • Make planning and zoning decisions based on urban planning principles and what benefits all residents. My decisions will not be influenced by developers or personal financial gain.
  • Coordinate with the county school board to help them continue to provide the best education for all of the children of Dunwoody.
  • Build a better working relationship with Dekalb County. With new parties involved, we can avoid the antagonistic politics of the past.
  • Work to make Dunwoody the best city it can be for all residents.
For more information, feel free to contact me at nancykaylor2000@yahoo.com.

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

When is the deadline for people to announce their candidacy? I thought it was weeks ago, but it seems like every time I turn around there is someone else throwing their hat in the ring.

Thanks for the info.

John Heneghan said...

Kirsten, You are correct, candidate registration is closed though each candidate decided when and how to announce their quest for political office. Some did it early, some a little later and all have been announced on this site except for Janet Webb who has not taken me up on my offer.