Monday, May 13, 2013

RIP Dr. Richard Reid - retired principal of Chesnut Charter Elementary

It is with great sadness that I share the passing of Dr. Richard Reid.
Please keep his wife and son (Maryann and Sam) in your prayers.
More information will follow in comments when available.

Dr. Reid previously served as a high school science teacher, an assistant principal at high school and elementary school levels and as an elementary school principal. He began his career in Dekalb County teaching science at Gordon High School in 1976. From 1986-1994, he taught science courses at Redan High School. Dr. Reid served as an assistant principal at Columbia High School and at Snapfinger and Pine Ridge Elementary Schools before being named principal at Forrest Hills Elementary School in 2001.

At Forrest Hills Elementary School, Dr. Reid and his staff implemented the America’s Choice Design for school improvement and Forrest Hills was recognized as a state demonstration school in 2003. In 2006, Dr. Reid and his staff were one of five Dekalb County Schools to institute Reading First in their kindergarten through third grade classes. Under his direction, Forrest Hills Elementary School made Adequate Yearly Progress for six consecutive years. In addition to the Common Core Georgia Performance Standards, he and his staff utilize Schoolwide Writing Fundamentals to enhance writing in their K-5 curriculum. Dr. Reid is a member of the National Association of Elementary School Principals and he served in 2007-2008 as the Region 4 President of the Georgia Association of Elementary School Principals.

Dr. Reid retired on August 1, 2012 after being the principal at Chesnut Charter School for the past 4 years.
Since his retirement he has become involved in Education Consulting, assisting public and private schools with teacher and leadership development as well as school instructional design.

5 comments:

John Heneghan said...

Dear Chesnut Community,

The family of Dr. Reid will have a memorial service in his hometown at a later date.

The Chesnut Charter faculty, staff, and parent community will honor Dr. Ried by hosting a gathering on Wednesday, May 22, 2013 from 3:00 – 6:00. At this time, we will share our stories and express our condolences to his family. We are asking our parents, community supporters, and DCSD colleagues to join us in remembering Dr. Reid.

Dunwoody North Driving Club
4522 Kingsgate Drive
Dunwoody, GA 30338
678 676 7102

Veronica Williams
Principal

Arr said...

Dr. Reid will be missed. He was a great administrator, leader, educator, and friend. He mark will forever me remembered.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Dr. Reid he was my kids principal at Forest Hills elem. He was not only the best principal he was the best preson to go just to talk. He will truly be missed. My deepest ssympahtys go out to him family but mostly his wife and son. He was loved and will be missed

Unknown said...

This saddens me he was my principal at Forest Hills Elementary and I was always in his office but I really wanted him to see me today and the man I've become Justin Dan.

Unknown said...

This saddens me he was my principal at Forest Hills Elementary and I was always in his office but I really wanted him to see me today and the man I've become Justin Dan.