Monday, January 9, 2017

My insights into 2017 as requested by Dick Williams of the Dunwoody Crier

2017 will see the finalization of one project and the start of others.

Mr. Dick Williams of the Dunwoody Crier was nice enough to reach out to ask if I wanted to put a few paragraphs togeather outlining my thoughts on the coming year and I provided him the text below (minus at least one typo I found) so I thought I would try to find background links to my statements to provide more background for my readers.

The City of Dunwoody is very blessed to have the weekly Dunwoody Crier as our city legal organ as it is the one news source that hits every driveway, every week and therefore has the eyeballs of every citizen no matter the generation whereby I know my electronic media newsletter is limited at best in reaching all those I serve. Dick thanks for the opportunity and your continued service to the community.



2017 will be a great year for the City of Dunwoody with the completion of several major transportation improvements and there will be extensive paving and sidewalk projects pushed forward as well. The City is now updating the comprehensive transportation plan and we could use your input so please check the city website or my blog for the link. I am excited about future intersection improvements, an innovative pedestrian / bike crossing from Georgetown to Perimeter Center, small connections to our trails and lighted crossings across busy streets where they are needed. New intersections will also bring technological upgrades to possibly speed emergency response vehicles through our busy streets.

2017 will also be a huge year for park improvements as two new baseball fields with artificial turf will be installed on the land purchased at Peachtree MS as well lights and an upgraded football field. Brook Run is slated for up to $3.5M in upgrades, Perimeter Center East park will be expanded and connected to Georgetown, there will be restrooms put in Windwood Hollow & Brook Run. The Parks Master Plan update is coming soon too. The city is assisting to find field space for everyone who needs it and I was overjoyed when Georgia State announced that they will be allowing Dunwoody High Lacrosse teams to use their fields for practice. Council is working diligently to find a way to assist the Dunwoody Nature Center on obtaining long-term funding for a possible major capital project. My hope is that outdoor concerts and festivals will be expanding in 2017 as the Council has funded a new Recreation Programs Supervisor to work this issue and to start to facilitate an active recreation program within the City of Dunwoody.

Dunwoody is blessed with an exceptional quality of life, a very strong and growing economic base, a strong residential real estate market and more importantly a strong sense of community where the City Council is attempting manage both growth, livability and quality living.

Thank you for allowing me to serve on the City Council, it is truly a privilege.

John Heneghan
4624 Buckley Court
Dunwoody, GA 30338
770-234-0678
John.Heneghan@DunwoodyGA.gov

No comments: