Wednesday, February 3, 2021

85 new townhomes proposed in Doraville (on the Dunwoody Border) on Van Fleet Circle & PIB Access Road

 See full Development Plans here.

Tonight at 6 pm the Doraville Planning Commission will be discussing a new residential development consisting of 85 town homes located on Van Fleet Circle and accessible by only the Peachtree Industrial Access Road near Tilly Mill.  This area is zoned for single family homes but there are many vacant properties in this little isolated nook between PIB & 285 therefore it was just a matter of time for an assemblage and redevelopment of the Van Fleet area plus with the Carver Circle development being built out, this is not surprising.

This proposal directly abuts the City of Dunwoody and the Dunwoody North community where I live and the only question that jumps out to me is the possible impact on flooding of Nancy Creek as it appears they are planning on building in the 100 year flood zone but not impacting the stream buffers so this concern to Dunwoody is minimal.  I also see a storm water easement that Dunwoody shares access to that pipe therefore I would want Doraville to be assured that clean outs are still possible in the area. 

Knowing that some residents would want to know, my research shows that this area is served by Chesnut Elementary School.


5 comments:

John Heneghan said...

This evening, I sent the following note to Doraville and then attended the Doraville Planning Commission to present a very similar public comment on the rezoning issue.

The applicant spoke directly to my public comment and stated that my two requests would be honored then Planning Commissioners added a few conditions to ensure the Stormwater & floodplain issues would be addressed.

..........

Good Afternoon Mayor Geierman, City Manager Eldridge, Office of Community Development and the Doraville Planning Commission;

My name is John Heneghan and I have had the pleasure of serving on the Dunwoody City Council for the last twelve years and residing in the Dunwoody North community which directly abuts the City of Doraville communities of Carver Circle, Ridgeway, Van Fleet Circle as well as the Tilly Mill and Homeland areas located to the North West of Peachtree Industrial Boulevard.

Congratulations on the successful Carver Circle redevelopment and the pending plans for Van Fleet Circle that are in front of the Planning Commission tonight. As the boundary between our two cities is at times Nancy Creek, I have dealt with the flooding of my community and want to assure myself, but more importantly assure my residents, that your proposed development will not negatively impact their quality of life.

I have reviewed the agenda for tonight and wasn’t sure if there was a public comment time available at the Planning Commission, therefore I figured would drop you a note that I can repeat for the City Council if needed at a later date. I see the drawing on page 59 of the agenda packet the developer is showing areas where they propose to fill in the floodplain and areas where they propose to remove soil from the floodplain. I believe the developer will have to balance those areas so that the total volume of the floodplain is not reduced by the development. I believe the developer will have to submit a flood study showing that the development will not increase flood heights and obtain approval from FEMA? I would like to request that these study requirements be placed upon the developer if the plans move forward as currently drawn.

The other factor I am concerned about is the stormwater runoff. I believe the development will be required to meet state and local stormwater management regulations to manage runoff. If this project is approved, as part of the land disturbance permit process I would like to request the hydrology study and stormwater management plan be publicly available for my residents' review and/or provided to me and the City of Dunwoody.

These are exciting times for both communities and I do treasure the cooperation between Dunwoody & Doraville. If there is ever anything I can personally do for the City of Doraville, please reach out to me directly.

Thank You,

John

Max said...

Cogent, thoughtful, and well prepared.

Thank you, John!

Tasneem said...

The new development will not just cause flooding and increased runoff, but removal of trees will increase noise pollution from 285 and air pollution. Also, this means more traffic on and off PIB. What is the City Council's plan to address loss of tree cover?

John Heneghan said...

Tasneem, this development is within the City of Doraville / not Dunwoody. Nancy Creek sits between this proposed development and Dunwoody, I have reviewed the plans to ensure that no activity is planned within the 50-foot undisturbed buffer. I have received assurances from Doraville government officials that the water controls that might negatively affect Dunwoody will be addressed. Thanks

Carver Hills Resident said...

Hi John,

What if the residents of this area would like to join Dunwoody and leave Doraville, how would that impact our city?

Thanks,