Thursday, July 17, 2008

Back 30 Acres of Brook Run is now open.

After scrutinizing misstep after misstep of the demolition of the buildings at Brook Run Park, especially the $500,000 amendment to a $1.3 million dollar contract; I am happy to announce that the back 30 acres of the park are finally open. I’m both happy that it is finished and saddened at the quality of the fill dirt and/or top soil that they used. I was hoping for lush fields for grass but there seems to be more rocks then blades of green. I was hoping for relatively flat fields where soccer could be played but understandably the ground was returned to sloping hills which drains to the creek. That being said, I’m still happy those buildings are gone.

Just the other day, I walked through the area and stood in the middle of 30 acres of wide open space; it was enormous, quiet and wonderful. I would like to encourage as many people as possible to go back there and enjoy the sounds of silence, the trees rustling in the wind, the birds (and cicadas) singing and smell of fresh air.

The residents of Dunwoody and even the new City Council can dream of grandiose plans for this space but the City will have to first legally obtain the property and then find additional funding to fund those grandiose plans. It’s my opinion that both of those propositions will be difficult and because of that the land will be left in its passive state, and to be honest that is just fine with me.

The Brook Run dog park association, Just a Walk in the Park has already requested that the dog park expand into that area but a recent e-mail from Mr. Marvin Billups, Asst Director of DeKalb Parks and Rec. stated that the county is still reviewing the idea.

I don’t have enough facts to even try to have an opinion on the proposal but I do know that the more people that use that section of the park the safer it will be, therefore any idea promoting passive use is probably a good start.

The next chance I get, I think those rolling hills of open land would look wonderful speeding underneath the tires of my mountain bike. I hope to see you out there.

Directions: 4770 N Peachtree Rd, Dunwoody, GA 30338 and drive all the way to the very back, past the dog park and past the chain link fence (that should be removed soon?)





4 comments:

G Man said...

Great news. I'll be there this weekend with the crumb crunchers in tow and let them vent their energy in a natural setting instead of on the plastic, rubber and metal monstrosity.

Open+Transparent said...

Hene's right, the more people using a park or grenspace, the less crime, vandalism, shady stuff, etc.

It's all about eyeballs.

Twotom said...

John, I am not familiar with the Brook Run land. What kind of mountain biking trails are possible in such a setting.

John Heneghan said...

There are no organized mountain bike trails in the park and what trails were in the park are now fenced in by the dog area. The park does have a street that winds through to the back, some sidewalks and little paths, but nothing worthy of any true mountain biker since it is relatively flat.

That being said, it would be the best way to get to the far reaches of the open fields.